Friday, November 7, 2008

I have a theory!

I believe that diet coke has been causing me anxiety and acne. Without think about it I have been consuming almost 32 oz. of diet coke everyday for I don’t know how long. As of a week and a half ago I have decided to stop drinking diet soda. The first day I didn’t have one I was feeling really depressed. I didn’t even think that the lack of diet soda was the cause for this though. The second day I had a terrible headache all day. The third day I was feeling so much better, more positive, and less stressed out. It has now been about a week and a half since I have had a diet coke and I have noticed that I have been experiencing a lot less anxiety. Also, I have noticed that my acne has been clearing up. As embarrassing as this is, it is something that I have suffered with and tried different face washes to help along with prescriptions from the doctor. Nothing seemed to clear it up. I never thought that drinking diet soda could be the cause of this. I am now almost certain something in the diet coke, perhaps the aspartame, has been attributing to my breakouts. A few years ago my cousin was drinking ridiculous amounts of crystal light and broke out with some kind of rash because of it. I think it has had a similar effect on me, causing mild acne breakouts. It’s just a theory, but I will be monitoring my diet soda intake a lot closer in the future.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I think you're right!
I have read so many things recently about the dangers of artificial sweeteners (like in Diet Coke).
I switched from regular to diet when i joined Weight Watchers, but I think it's still bad.

I've also struggled with acne for as long as I can remember, and I do agree-regular or diet, the soda/pop makes me break out. I think it's something with the caramel coloring.

I hope you continue to feel better! I need to brave it out and bid farewell to the pop. I'm just having a hard time with it!

Dave said...

lol, you Mid-West folk and your beloved Diet Coke...

Anonymous said...

Reba... This summer I decided to give up diet cokes. Not because of any break outs, I just know it is bad for you and instead tried drinking more water. I had the whole headache thing for a couple days, then for several "weeks" I was tired all the time. I was sleeping almost 12 hours a night. I felt like a newborn infant.
Now, here I am drinking the dear old beloved diet coke again. I was to tired and it wasn't getting any better. Although now instead of getting two 32 ounce diet cokes a day, I only have 2 diet cokes a week. Much better!

Andrea said...

I have a theory- Soda in general gives me acne.