Monday, November 3, 2008

Trick or Treat!

It was a good weekend, busy and good.

Friday was a fun day at school. Because of Halloween, almost every class (except speech of course) did something fun like eat candy while we were working. Mr. Pecherek had us listen to a scary radio show in music appreciation that was really cool. I can’t remember ever listening to a radio show before, and I thought it was really fun. Friday night I helped hand out candy at my sister Maggie’s house. There were a ton of kids! We had three huge bags of candy, and we let each kid pick out two pieces. Both bags were gone within an hour and a half. With nothing left to give away we turned out the porch light and went down to the Mexican restaurant for dinner. After dinner we watched Hannibal Rising, a totally creepy movie about a man who eats people, perfect for Halloween.

Saturday Maggie and I went shopping all day. We got pretty lost at one point on our way to the mall and had to ask directions, but we found it eventually. We went to an outdoor outlet mall and a huge indoor mall. I was very proud of myself because I didn’t buy anything all day except a book I have been wanting. There was so much stuff I wanted to buy! Although I have to say this, we went to this outlet mall and the things there were so expensive, I don’t see how people can spend $200 on a purse without even feeling guilty about it. I mean you could feed hundreds and hundreds of people for that amount of money, and children are dying all over the world from malnutrition. It was a great time browsing, and Maggie got some really cute things for great deals! Saturday night I went over to a friend’s house and watched Casino Royale, a James Bond movie. It was really good. I have never seen any of the James Bond movies, and I need to get familiar with them for when we go see the new one when it comes out.

Sunday was pretty relaxing. After church and lunch some of us drove down to the orchard only to find that it is now closed on Sundays. How disappointing. We came back and went for a walk instead. Overall it was a nice end to a busy weekend.
I have to write a persuasive essay on a controversial topic for my next assignment in English.

We are supposed to come to class Wednesday with some possible topics for what we might do it on, so if any of you have any suggestions let me know, I would really appreciate it. The only tricky thing is that he has already ruled out the following topics, blood donation, organ donation, abortion, gun control, the death penalty, doctor-assisted suicide, euthanasia, prayer in public schools, the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in public schools, any issues that rely heavily on matters of faith, and the war in Iraq. So anything but those, thanks for your help!

No comments: