Monday, January 12, 2009

I am quite disappointed in myself. The number of posts I write is pitiful. Blogging is something I have really wanted to do ever since my sister Andrea started hers. I have tons of things I would like to blog about, but for some reason I never make time to sit down and write, which is completely ridiculous, because I find all sorts of time to do other completely useless things like play spider solitaire! I would really like to get in the habit of posting at least every other day. It really doesn’t take that long. Also, I have been trying to think more about what types of things I would like to talk about on here. I have noticed that some of the reason I don’t look forward to posting is because I have mostly been writing about what I have been doing lately, and I don’t find that interesting to write about at all (although I love to read what others are up to!). So I have decided I am just going to write more about what is on my mind lately and less about what I have been doing. Soooo….Here is my question then.
Do you think it is OK to try and be friends with ex boyfriends or girlfriends? I have been thinking about this issue a lot lately, because I have been advised by some of my family members that it is not a good idea to hang out with guys I have dated, and I don’t know how I feel about this issue. I have dated some really nice guys, and I feel like it would be a shame to let those friendships die just because things didn’t work out, especially if we broke up on good terms. Some of my family told me that if it wasn’t a mutual break up and they still like you then you shouldn’t hang out because that is like leading them on and making them think you might get back together. However, I don’t see how it is really any different than having guys who are friends, which you never dated, but like you. Isn’t it leading them on to hang out with them? I haven’t had any guy friends who I hang out with and talk to on a regular basis who at one point or another did not develop some sort of a crush on me. Does that mean that as soon as I found out they liked me I should have stopped being their friend because hanging out with them might give them the wrong idea? Or do I simply explain to them that I don’t have those feelings for them nor want to be anything more than friends with them, the same way I could with an ex boyfriend? Hmm….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well in the past I've learned that people develop "crushes" all the time. "crushes" are not the same thing as dating someone and developing real feelings - then being dumped will you still have strong feelings. If someone had a "crush" on you that doesn't mean they still like you or had the same level of feelings someone you dated may have had. So it doesn't seem like the same thing as you dating someone and then breaking up with them when they still like you. Good Luck