Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"and the most crucial thing I lack is a thing called tact"

A few months ago I wrote a paper for my English class and talked a lot about how important language is in expressing yourself. Simple things like word choice or tone can really alter how you come across to other people, especially in writing. I was reminded of that paper today when my sister and brother-in-law brought up the way they thought I came across in my last posts, when I was talking about my day manager. As I reread the posts I realized they were right; I kind of do sound like I have an attitude. When I wrote them they sounded completely different in my head. Yes, my feelings have been hurt by the situation (nobody likes to think they are being treated unfairly), but I didn't mean to come off sounding like I have such an attitude about it. It made me think about how hard it is to be sincere in your writing without giving off the wrong impression to the people reading it. How can I show my frustration without sounding completely rude, or even overly excited about something? It is not only with blogs that this can be a problem. Have you ever tried to write an email to someone and they took something you said completely wrong? It reminds me of how I sometimes remind my younger sister that when you write things they can come off sounding harsher than if you said them. I tell her this because I think she tends to overuse the exclamation point key on the keyboard lol :P. It's tough because in writing you can't smile, change your tone of voice, raise you voice, or anything. You are relying completely on words and grammar to get your message across, and it can be difficult to do. I also don't want to be too afraid of how I am coming across to people that I am not honest and sincere in showing my feelings about something. Should I be worried about this, or should I write what I feel even if I do sound a little stronger than I meant to, or just different than what I had intended?

P.S. I love feedback...even if it's only a few words =)

3 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Becca... I understood what you were saying, and it didn't come across to me in any negative way at all. I love your honesty, and don't think there is a problem, since you are aware of the pitfalls of email and blogging, and are watching out in how you put things. You are a wonderful young niece! Love and hugs!

Andrea said...

Beck,

I didn't think you were coming across with an attitude, more frustrated, but then again I had just talked to you about the situation earlier or the day before - so I kind of understood anyway.

I have a hard time because I tend to type things out and think they are coming across a certain way then what they really are. I say keep going and doing what you're doing. Use a smile face or something - you do great! =)

Spike said...

Your sister is right. When I read your blog the first thing that came to mind is that it's a good thing you're going on these retreats. Then the second thing I thought was that maybe I was being too harsh since you're still young and have a lot to learn yet.

But this post had me laughing. I know exactly what it's like being misunderstood (especially by your sister), and I realize how frustrating it can be. Keep in mind how your writings might be interpretted but don't let it hamper your style.